Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stir fry

 

I grew up eating this yummy stir fry and have not made it in about a decade. I pulled up the recipe and decided to go for it. Wow it was so good!  My daughter even liked it. The boys not so much, but I guess that's why I made rice too. My daughters comment was "wow I have had so much yummy food today". I asked her what else she had today and she said it was all my cooking. Now that is positive reinforcement!!  News flash!!!  Hubby just came home and ate, he said this is a do again!  Hooray for good recipes!

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry

1 20 oz can pineapple chunks in own juice
1/4 c brown sugar
1/3 c vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp. catsup
2-3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
4 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 bags of frozen stir fry veggies

Drain pineapple and set pineapple aside.  To pineapple juice, add brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, catsup, cornstarch, and ginger root.  (You can keep fresh ginger in the freezer and grate off the amount you want, put it back in.  Lasts forever that way!)  Mix and set aside.

In large skillet, add a little olive oil, Brown chicken.  Remove chicken and set aside.  Add veggies to hot skillet and stir fry at medium high heat.  Add a little water if needed to prevent sticking.  When crisp tender add sauce, pineapple and chicken.  Cook until bubbly and thickened.  Serve with rice and chow mein noodles.

No comments: