Thursday, May 13, 2010

Texas Cake

OOOOOH Yummy! And fast too!  This cake is probably what made my husband fall in love with me.  If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  I think it is also why I gained at least 20 lbs in the first year of our marriage.  Texas cake is a chocolate lovers dream.  Fudgy frosting, soft cake--the ultimate in comfort food.  Perhaps that is why I have not made it that often since I have been eating healthier.  Everything in moderation though so don't make this weekly like I did when I first was married.  But have it every once in a while and enjoy the decadent chocolate goodness!


Texas Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 Tbsp cocoa  (I use heaping Tablespoons)
1 cup water
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soda

In a microwaveable bowl combine butter, cocoa, and water.  Heat in microwave until butter is mostly melted.  Stir and then bring to a boil.  (Be careful not to burn it!) Mix with beaters and slowly add sugar and flour.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.   Pour into a well greased 11x17 inch cookie sheet with sides.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Frost while still warm.

Icing for Texas Cake:

1 stick butter
4 Tbsp cocoa (heaping never hurts here either)
1/3 cup milk
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Bring butter, cocoa, and milk to a boil.  Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.  Spread over warm cake.  Makes 24 servings.

No comments: