Monday, April 6, 2015

The power of consistency (Day 90 something, I won't be counting dates much longer!)



I was listening to the Best Life Ever CD today and Darren Hardy started talking about the power of consistency.   How creating habits and completing them bring success.   This thought has been on my mind a bit because I have been contemplating my success over the first 3 months of this year.   Mind you I have had better days.  The sickness got to me.   The question I had posed to myself this weekend was whether in order to be successful, one needed to complete the habits that they decided upon even when sick or having a bad day.
  Of course when I write it now, it seems to be a no brainer.  At the time it was quite the epiphany.   In the CD, he was speaking to how if you break the habit, it takes a whole lot of momentum again to get back to the same baseline.   I equate this to not loading the dishwasher for a couple of days.   Instead of doing one batch of dishes, I have 2 or 3 depending on how long it has been.   The kitchen gets very out of order when I have not loaded the dishwasher and started it every night.  If I skip a week of laundry, mount washmore gets so big that it takes another week to just get caught up.   Same if I skip days or weeks of exercise or eating healthy.   The stops and starts take that much more effort to get back to baseline, than if I had just continued on.  So this goes back to the question, should I even though I am not feeling well stick with my prescribed habits?   The answer is yes and no.   If really sick skipping exercise is very wise.   But taking the effort to continue loading the dishwasher and keeping up the laundry, healthy eating, or maybe delegating those tasks, will keep it on the radar until the time when I can get back in the game full speed. 
In the book the compound effect Also by Darren Hardy, he speaks of how once you create a habit it creates momentum that gets you going faster, with less effort.  Just like how starting a train goes slow at first and then once you get it going it is hard to stop, your habits will have the same effect.   You just have to put the work in to get them going.  

I am re-vamping and resetting my goals again.  That is how it works, constantly reassessing and reforming.   By revisiting them you actually keep them fore front in your brain so that you can get even better results!

Come jump on this train with me.   I am committing again, and going to get that momentum in my favor this time!  No more stopping and starting....even one small step each day will get me there!

No comments: