Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 68 of 100--Say No

In order to take care of ourselves, we need to sometimes say no to outside influences.   This can be someone asking us to do something.  It can be something that takes away from our real priorities.  Whatever it is, we need to take stock of our priorities and do what is best for ourselves, not whatever is asked of us.  I have a hard time feeling like I let people down if I don't do what is asked of me.  So I have a default of yes all too often.   I learned this weekend that sometimes it is better to be upfront in a no, instead of pushing it down the line.

So figure out your priorities.  What comes first.   For me it is my health and family.

Make a plan to say no.  If you need to say let me check my calendar so you have time to think it over. 

Be kind.   It doesn't have to be mean or abrupt.  Thanks for asking, I won't be able to this time.  Something of that nature.

You don't need to explain it.  If you just don't want to you can just say no.  Don't go into detail.  People don't always need to know your reasoning.  :)

So are you good at saying no?  Do these tactics work for you?   Are there any that work better?

No comments: