Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Day 49 of 100--Listen in




Today during the personal training session we were doing some walking lunges.   The trainer started talking about how we need to feel each part of the move.   Clench the glutes when lifting the leg, feel the core engage as we bring our leg forward, feel all those leg muscles help you push up from the lunge.   I started really paying attention to what I was doing, making myself present in the moment.  I noticed that the more I could feel the muscles working and paid attention to them, the better my form was and the better balance I had.   It was amazing. 

So I started thinking.  If paying attention to those details makes everything that much better in just one exercise.  How would paying attention and being present in life make things better?   I once read about walking meditation, where you are mindful and present as you walk.   Say you are walking on a fall day.  You hear the crunch of the leaves under your feet as you walk, smell the crisp fall air, feel the cool temperature.  See all the colors surrounding as the leaves fall from the trees.   I tried it once, walking the kids home from school, completely mindful of the moment.  It was blissful!  I think that meditation even in this sense, or being present, gives us the strength and stability to handle all the stresses of life.  We have the ability to weather the difficult because we are conscious of ourselves. 


So have you ever tried meditation before?  What about Walking meditation?  How did it work for you?

No comments: