Friday, February 20, 2015

Day 51 of 100--How do you talk to yourself?

This morning I was faced with a decision.   The first thought that came to mind was:  "Oh no, I am terrible at making decisions."  Then I caught myself.  What am I doing?   Telling myself that I can't make decisions?   That really isn't true, but it was what I was thinking.   It's those little thoughts that make up your day and determine your choices. For instance when I am tired I think I need to eat to boost my energy.  I don't think it out loud, but it is in my background thoughts.   This leads me to graze and eat more than I would otherwise. 

So what do you do to change these thoughts?

First thing is to recognize them.   Slow your thinking down.  I have always thought "how do you do that?!!?!?!"   but to slow your thinking you really just need to pay attention to them.   Write it down if it helps.  

Next find a counter to each thought.   So I need to eat to increase my energy could be:  I will lay down to get the rest I need.   I am bad at making decisions would be come I am capable of making great decisions.   Just flip it. 

Last when you hear yourself thinking those thoughts again.  Repeat your new thought.   Soon you will find yourself thinking the new thoughts instead!  

This process takes time and isn't always easy.  It is certainly doable.   Just start and see where it takes you.   If you have your mind in the right place you can do anything!!

No comments: