Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 16 of 100--maybe its time to grow up

Maybe it is time to grow up.   I can't tell you how hard it was to come to that conclusion.  Ever since we started the Family dodots system, I realized how hard it is for me to withhold gratification.   Clean my room?  No I'll play on facebook instead.  Work on the kitchen, organizing?   Naw, I'd rather read my email.   The list goes on and on.   There is the required work that the kids had to do: one room in the house, their bedroom, homework and practicing.  Then I am requiring myself to do what I am asking them to do.  Can't expect my kids to do something that I am not doing, right?   So I had a pity party.   A couple of days, complaining to myself about how I didn't want to do what I was asking myself to do.   Then I started realizing that I needed to be the adult.   Why wasn't I being the adult anyway.   Dave Ramsey has a quote that I have really liked...but it has really hit home more recently.   "Adults devise a plan and follow it.  Children do what feels good."  I stole the picture from Dave Ramsey's facebook page.  (Thanks Dave Ramsey!)   

I believe it really is true.   I have had a hard time living up to my goals because it has been easier to do what feels good in the moment.   Perhaps it is time that I grew up.  :)

No comments: