Saturday, January 17, 2015

Day 17 of 100 There is no good or bad food

There is no good or bad food.   This principle of intuitive eating really hit me at an important time.   I was trying to cut out parts of my diet and finding that the more I tried the more restricted and deprived I felt.   This became more cyclical until I would binge eat on everything saying that I would change my diet tomorrow...then do it again the next day.   Mentally I was in a horrible spot.  Extremely mad at myself for not being able to follow through, but partly not wanting to follow through because I really was feeling deprived.  

Enter intuitive eating.    There are a couple of laws they follow.  First off the law of habituation.   Habituation is when you eat something often enough that it no longer tastes good.  For instance when you have the same lunch every day for a week.  By day 5 or 6 it is boring, has no flavor, is difficult to eat and just isn't pleasant to the taste buds anymore.   That is habituation.   Some foods you can eat for weeks, other foods just a couple of times and you are done.   

The other is biological eating.   When the body is deprived of a certain nutrient for long enough, it starts to crave foods that will give it that nutrient.   IF it is still deprived you end up in uncontrollable eating.  This isn't that you do not have will power.  IT is that your body is in dire need of a certain nutrient and so is attempting to get it no matter the cost.   Will power really is a fallacy.   It is telling you to fight against the signals of your body.  In actual fact, if you trust your body it will tell you what it is you need, how much and when.   We just need to listen!  

So what I am getting at here, is that food...all kinds of food.  Even Processed Cheese food is ok to eat.   You are not bad for eating desserts, or candy as you are not good for eating only celery.   There is a balance to things.   The next time you start to say "I have been bad today" in regards to your eating, catch yourself.   Did you steal it?   Did you hold it up with a gun?   It is ok to eat all kinds of foods.  Nothing is off limits.   If you want something eat it.  Really taste it.  I mean really!   Savor that food.   The texture, the smell, the taste.   Figure out if you really like it or not.   Sometimes something we think we want ends up not being nearly as tasty as we imagine it would be.   For more info check out the Intuitive Eating book.  :)

Let me know how this works for you!

No comments: